Kyra Trowbridge commits to Gymhawks

The GymHawks collected another oral commitment, this time from level 10 Kyra Trowbridge, who has been offered a full athletics scholarship, as reported by patch.com.

Trowbridge, however, was not originally slated to graduate from high school until 2013. The Hawkeye-to-be will finish her degree requirements during the summer and fall semester, just in time to join the Hawkeyes for that start of the competitive college season in December.

Trowbridge is a four-time Junior Olympic National Qualifier, and she was pursued by more than a dozen Division I programs; she made official visits to Ohio State, Nebraska, and Boise State.

Trowbridge, who trains with Paragon Gymnastics in Fredericksburg, Va., said she believes that Iowa is the right spot for her.

"[Iowa] has great coaches and a great support team there, and the girls are great, and they are determined," Trowbridge told patch.com. "If we all pull our heads together and just work hard every single day, it is very possible to win a championship."

Iowa head coach Larissa Libby has taken the GymHawks to five-straight NCAA regional appearances in 2008-12. She is known for recruiting world-class athletes from all over the country — such as World Championships competitors Houry Gebeshian and Rebecca Simbhudas — and drawing several Canadian gymnasts to Iowa City.

— by Molly Irene Olmstead