Logic, Westcott take over Game Time

Sam Logic and Mackenzie Westcott started the game with a moment of slow motion, with the ball soared over the women’s heads during tip-off. Then the game changed into a high-speed chase up and down the court.

Vinton Merchants /McCurry’s defeated Coralville Hy-Vee, 96-78, in Monday night’s Game Time League contest in North Liberty.

But the 18-point victory didn’t come easily for the head coach Brendan Unkrich’s squad. The two usual posts, Northern Iowa’s Jen Keitel and Amber Kirschbaum, were not at the game because of an injury and vacation.

Logic and Westcott adapted quickly to a changed game and kept their team afloat.

"We haven’t had a really close game yet, so I think we fought through it, especially since we were missing Jen and Amber," Logic said. "We had to fight really hard because two of our key players weren’t with us."

Logic and Westcott thrived in the physical and fast-paced action. The game looked like a simple win for Coralville Hy-Vee in the beginning, even though Westcott made the first shot off the tip-off after an assist from Logic.

Coralville Hy-Vee led, 30-19, at half time.

"We had a lot of adversity to overcome without our post presences here. Halfway through the first half we finally figured out how we wanted to play," Westcott said. "We stopped them from getting their 3s and picked up on defense. They were getting a lot of kicks out to 3s, and they finally starting missing some."

Logic and Westcott took over and pulled the team through the first half. Logic had assist after assist to Westcott under the basket. Vinton/McCurry’s had a 9-3 run that put it back in the game.

"We decided we were going to get up and down the court — lay-ups and 3-pointers," Unkrich said. "We did a nice job on that. We let a lot of points go in the first half because the players were adjusting to playing post."

Logic and Westcott’s chemistry translated into behind-the-back and no-look passes. And that chemistry allowed their team to add another win to its record.

"We have really similar style of play," Logic said. "We have a not-going-to-lose type of attitude — just scrappy. We’d do anything to win, and that’s why we gel so well."

Westcott and Brooke Wheelwright both made 3-point shots right before halftime that pushed the team ahead for only the second time in the game. There was no turning back.

Coralville Hy-Vee struggled in the second half with turnovers and fouls, and Vinton/McCurry’s eventually pulled away.

Logic ended with 25 points, and Westcott tallied 34.

"Every game is going to be different, whether it’s the NBA or junior high," Unkrich said. "You have players who are down and hurt, so other players have to step up. The rest of the team just has to step up.

"That’s what they did."