Doris, Austin, Holmes finish track trials

2012 Iowa graduate Troy Doris placed eighth in the triple jump at the U.S. Track and Field Olympic trials in Eugene, Ore., on June 30. Doris jumped 16.33 meters in his first of six attempts, finishing with that mark as his best in the finals.

Seven of the 11 finalists completed their best mark in the first round.

The Hawkeye finished in ninth place in the preliminaries after a 16.42-meter jump, and he never improved upon his college-best distance of 16.48 meters at the trials.

Doris completed two jumps under 15 meters in the second (15.78) and fourth (15.89) rounds and committed a foul in the fifth round. He rang up 16.14 and 16.12 in the third and sixth rounds, respectively.

Christian Taylor won the event and a place on the Olympic team with a 17.63-meter jump in the first round. William Claye took second, finishing at 17.55 meters.

Iowa senior-to-be Justin Austin also competed at the trials and qualified for the semifinals of the men’s 200-meter dash. Austin placed 11th out of 32 in the prelim with a time of 20.55 seconds to move on to the next round.

The Hawkeye took fourth place in his preliminary heat, and the 20.55 time beat his season-best of 20.65, set at the Big Ten championships in May.

But Austin’s 14th place finish in the semifinals wasn’t enough to keep him in the trials. He finished with a time of 20.91 on June 30.

Another Iowa senior-to-be competed at the trials: Ethan Holmes took 28th in the prelims of the men’s 110-meter hurdles. Homes’ time of 14.15 was .41 seconds off from his season best and .42 seconds slower than his college-best time.

Holmes made it to the trials after meeting "B" qualifying standards.

— by Molly Irene Olmstead