Osborn expected to plead guilty for 2010 murder

Eric Osborn, accused of killing his live-in girlfriend at Mobile Manor Park in March 2010, is expected to plead guilty at a hearing today.

Osborn, 29, is charged with first-degree murder, a Class A felony carrying a mandatory sentence of life in prison. He is being held at the Johnson County Jail on a $1 million cash bond.

Johnson County prosecutor Janet Lyness said Osborn is expected to plead guilty to second-degree murder in a plea deal. Second-degree murder is a Class B felony punishable by up to 50 years in prison.

Osborn’s attorney, Quint Meyerdirk, did not return phone calls for comment Thursday night.

Osborn is accused of killing Sarah McKay, 34, after the couple drank beer, smoked marijuana, and took pills. According to police reports, Osborn told police he struck McKay in the head with a baseball bat, then strangled her to death because he didn’t want her to suffer. Osborn told police he blacked out, and attempted suicide after realizing what he had done.

If Osborn pleads guilty, there will be no trial.

"He may ask to waive the 15 days between plea and sentencing and proceed directly to sentencing tomorrow," Lyness said.

Victim-impact statements from McKay’s family are expected if Osborn pleads guilty, and he may make a statement as well.

A hearing is scheduled for this morning concerning a possible conflict of interest between Osborn, a state witness, and his attorney’s office.