Logic’s court vision shines

For the last couple of years, point guards have dominated the basketball world.

On Wednesday night, Hawkeye sophomore to be Sam Logic led the Vinton Merchants/McCurry’s team to a 92-60 win over Cullen Painting/Monica’s and Bob’s Your Uncle.

"We pushed the ball really well tonight," she said. "We played solid defense the first half and forced them to take tough shots."

The first four minutes of the game started off slowly, but then Logic started to push the pace. She found her open teammates with one beautiful pass after another. Whether it was on the break or in the half-court, she found them open.

"I was able to get open 3s on the break because Sam was pushing the ball," Northern Iowa’s Erin Dohnalek said. "I was also able to get in the gym today, so my shot was on. Sam was throwing some great passes."

Logic and the rest of head coach Brendan Unkrich’s team were on a fast break midway through the first half when Logic ran up the court and executed a textbook no-look pass to a trailing teammate.

"I have always tried to look for my teammates," she said. "Growing up, my dad always had me do that. Here [at Game Time], it’s pretty good competition and pretty good players, so it’s not that bad."

Logic didn’t play a perfect game, but she filled the stat sheet. She finished with 8 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 assists. She was also able to set up such players as Dohnalek to score. Dohnalek finished with 16 points and 12 rebounds.

Two other players who benefited from Logic’s play were Northern Iowa’s Amber Kirschbaum and Bradley’s Mackenzie Westcott.

"I thought we did a really good job in transition, and we got out and rebounded well — Amber and Jen [Keitel] did a nice job on the boards," Westcott said. "Sam did a good job at pushing it up the court for us."

Kirschbaum had a game-high 21 points and 10 rebounds, and Westcott chipped in 16 points while adding 10 rebounds.

"When you have people that who as well as we do, it’s really easy to get those drive and kicks for open shots," Westcott said. "[I’ve] got to give credit to the people giving me the ball, because I’m getting open looks because of them."

Coach Randy Larson’s team didn’t have as easy as a time finding open looks. The team had no answer for Logic and a first-half run in which Unkrich’s team took a 22-point lead into the break.

"It never really seemed like we were down that much," Iowa guard Theairra Taylor said. "We need to rebound and box out more. We were losing our players [in the paint]."

Larson’s team was out-rebounded, 57-40, and never seemed to find a rhythm — except for Taylor.

Following the example of Hawkeye teammate Logic, Taylor was able to lead a slew of fast breaks, but the rest of her team couldn’t execute. Taylor, however, hit a variety of nice shots, finishing with 16 points and going 2-of-3 from long range.

"[I’m working on] just taking my open shots," Taylor said. "I know people are going to defend my drive and back off me a lot more to start the season, so I’m just going to start to take those shots."