Little Hawk second baseman takes to the mound in fifth

Junior Jack Frakes led the City High Little Hawks to a 11-3 win over the Dubuque Wahlert Golden Eagles on Monday night in the first game of a double-header.

Frakes’ defense was strong for most of the game at second base, but he also showed his skill at pitcher when he finished the last 2 2/3 innings.

"This was the best I saw Jack pitch all year," assistant coach Steve Wildman said. "He did very well."

Frakes took to the mound in relief of starting pitcher Mitch Wieland with one out in the fifth inning. Wieland held the Golden Eagles to 2 runs, and Frakes finished the game strong, allowing only one additional run, which was unearned.

He had a mostly tough defense backing him up, which helped him hold Wahlert to no additional runs in the sixth or seventh. The hurler only allowed 2 hits.

"I’m a contact pitcher," Frakes said. "I don’t have the greatest stuff, but I know I have good defense behind me."

The junior only threw one strikeout, but the defense was on its toes.

City High’s pitching change didn’t have a negative effect on the team. Catcher Tyler Stika said the Little Hawks kept up the momentum throughout the whole game.

"[Frakes] hasn’t pitched a lot of innings this year, but I’ve caught a lot of bullpens from him," Stika said. "We were really comfortable with him coming in and the switch."

Switching positions didn’t affect Frakes, either — he was just as in sync with it as the rest of the team. Frakes said he almost always switches in the middle of the game.

"I haven’t started a game [at pitcher] yet this season," he said. "I’m more comfortable switching during the game than starting it."

The Little Hawks weren’t only strong on pitching and defense against Dubuque Wahlert, their offense helped them pull ahead as well.

Frakes walked, singled, and doubled.

The Golden Eagles’ first pitcher allowed 5 runs and 6 walks in the first inning, giving City High an early jump that Wahlert couldn’t recover from.

Frakes, Stika, Ryan Duncan, Alex Mills, Grant Simpson, and Mitch Hasler capitalized on the weak Dubuque pitching during their first at-bats.

Frakes hit a 3-run double in the fourth inning following hits from Josh Crosby, Stika, Mills, and Simpson. Frakes’s line drive put the Little Hawks ahead, 10-2, and put the game out of reach for the Golden Eagles. The 3 runs were key "broke their backs," Wildman said.

"Hitting leadoff this year, I haven’t had a lot of opportunities to bring some runs," Frakes said. "I felt good to get a couple on the board myself and help out the team."