Man charged with multiple counts of burglary

A North Liberty man has been charged with numerous counts of burglary and theft.

David Solis, 20, 600 Andrews Court, was charged Dec. 20 with third-degree burglary and second-degree theft, Jan. 1 with third-degree burglary, Jan. 4 with forgery and identity theft, and Jan. 18 with third-degree burglary and fourth-degree theft.

According to an Iowa City police complaint dated Dec. 20, 2011, Solis allegedly stole three TVs with an estimated value of around $1,200 from a home while the residents were away.

Officials allege that Solis had stolen checks from one of the residents and later forged and attempted to cash it at the University of Iowa Community Credit Union. Solis reportedly was found in possession of checks belonging to the victim of a burglary.

The police complaint said the only way Solis could have obtained those checks is to have been in the residence during the burglary. Solis reportedly was seen on video attempting to cash the forged check, using another person’s ID from a separate burglary, according to the complaint.

According to an Iowa City police complaint dated Jan. 1, a victim reported his wallet containing cash, gift cards, his Iowa driver’s license, and Social Security card had been stolen from his car along with his iPod. There were no suspects at the time of the report, so it was closed and forwarded to investigations.

An Iowa City police complaint dated Jan. 4 said Solis allegedly attempted to use the stolen ID at the credit union along with a forged check with the victim’s name written on it.

On Jan. 18, a police complaint said Solis allegedly stole cash from a location that only someone familiar with the apartment would know where to look.

Solis has had numerous charges related to burglaries in Johnson County; he is being held in jail for burglaries outside Johnson County.

Third-degree burglary of an unoccupied car is an aggravated misdemeanor, as is forgery.

Second-degree theft is a class-D felony. Third-degree burglary is a Class-D felony.

— by Amy Skarnulis