Weno dominates Linn-Mar in complete game shutout

The City High softball team’s offense started off hot, scoring 8 runs in the first two innings. And starting pitcher Erin Weno was able to hold Linn-Mar scoreless as the Little Hawks cruised to a 8-0 win.

City High started the game strong with 3 runs in the first inning and 5 runs in the second. Linn-Mar had 5 hits in the game but couldn’t convert them into runs and finished the game scoreless.

"Anytime you can play error-free on the defensive side is always positive," City High head coach Gary Fickel said. "Were moving the ball around offensively, and I thought Erin Weno did a great job in the circle."

Weno was dominant on Thursday, striking out four batters en route to a complete-game shutout. The junior allowed only five hits.

"She adjusted to the strike zone, and, as the game progressed, she was able to become more comfortable with it," assistant coach Jaime Henze said. "She threw better in the second half and was able to make quick work of the [Linn-Mar] lineup."

Weno allowed only 2 hits through the first four innings, and her hitting wasn’t bad, either. She went 1-3, with 2 RBIs and 2 runs scored.

"We were working on my pitches all week," she said. "And the defense was solid and stayed on their toes the whole game."

The offensive surge controlled the first two innings, and then the Little Hawks turned to defense and pitching for the win. Weno pitched a quick fourth inning — she forced the Lion hitters into three-straight groundballs to shortstop Bri Hightshoe for a quick 1-2-3 inning.

Weno allowed only one hit in the fifth inning, facing only four batters.

After City High pulled away, the Lions could do nothing to catch up in the late innings.

Linn-Mar stranded runners on base in each of the first three innings, and it didn’t get better.

Through the last four innings the Lions left four runners on base.

The Little Hawks, by contrast, kept their bats hot — they only stranded three runners the entire game.

The Hawks accumalated 9 hits over seven innings and never let up on Linn-Mar pitcher Lauren Swanson.

One bright spot for the Lions came from an unusual place in the lineup. Their No. 9 hitter, junior Hannah Yearling, finished the game with 3-for-3 with 2 doubles. She accounted for over half of the Linn Mar offense.

"We’re putting a lot of emphasis on our hitting right now," Fickel said. "We’re swinging at good pitches, and the girls are really disciplined in the batter’s box. We’re really happy with that."