John Archer to go up against Loebsack in November

John Archer has hit the mark with Republican voters in southeastern Iowa and will have his name on the November ballot.

Dan Dolan and Archer competed against each other in the 2nd Congressional District primary election Tuesday. Archer will go up against incumbent Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, in November.

Archer said he was excited to be nominated and to see the campaign team’s hard work pay off.

"It feels very good," he told The Daily Iowan after results were reported Tuesday night. "We worked really hard with all of our people and processes for about a year."

He said the campaign workers will take a short holiday to enjoy their success but "not too much time."

"Next, we will re-evaluate our strategies and tweak and add people as necessary," he said.

He said his next course of action is to work to reduce regulation on small businesses to encourage investment.

"We need to make America competitive again," he said. "As Congress members, we need to provide an environment for individuals and businesses to invest capital."

The upcoming election is the first since redistricting in Iowa.

Voter turnout in Johnson County was low this year but consistent with recent years’ trends.

Tim Hagle, a University of Iowa political-science associate professor, said this election did not drive voters to the polls.

"It’s sleepy in Johnson County this time simply because Republicans have only one race that is competitive," he said.

While GOP voters may not have been rushing to vote yesterday, Hagle said the Republican candidate will need all the support he can get to defeat Loebsack.

"It’s always tough to unseat an incumbent," he said. "It’s going to be an uphill battle."

Archer was confident about competing against Loebsack.

"This is really a great opportunity for the Republican candidate because he is a weak incumbent, a quasi-incumbent," he said.

Hagle said the two main issues this election will likely be the U.S. economy and job creation.

"It’s often a little bit different talking at the Congressional level, but issues in the presidential race will dominate," he said. "The economy, jobs, a combination of the debt and deficit will be the focus."

Loebsack’s press secretary, in an email after the election results came through, said Loebsack’s priority is creating jobs for Iowans — the same issue both Dolan and Archer prioritized.

"My priority is, and always will be, supporting and strengthening working families and getting Iowans back to work," he said in the press release. "[By] creating good jobs for hard-working Iowans."

Loebsack said in the release the Republican Party has other priorities than job creation.

"But the Republican Congress and their nominee to run our great nation are far more focused on rewarding their special-interest backers, ending Medicare as we know it," he said in the release. "… And declaring a war on women than they are in creating jobs, making sure families can send their kids to college, restoring the American Dream, and rebuilding an economy that works for all Iowans."