UI Police issue Hawk Alert after alleged bank robbery

A series of HawkAlerts issued Monday left some University of Iowa students confused.

The confusion came after some UI students received a Hawk Alert at 10:21 a.m. that was originally sent in February regarding an armed man in City Park. The alert read: "ICPD & UI police have searched City Park and didn’t find an armed person. Officials will monitor the situation and provide an update as soon as it becomes available."

UI police then issued a second alert around 10:30 a.m. stating they were searching for an armed robbery suspect in the Lodge Apartment area to the 900 block of Harlocke Street and warned people to stay out of the area.

The second alert was issued after the Johnson County Communication Center received a call from Hills Bank and Trust Co. to report a bank robbery, according a release from Iowa City police.

A man, identified by police as Eric Martin, 34, of Davenport, allegedly led police on a chase on both foot and motorcycle before he was arrested by police.

Martin was charged with first-degree robbery, possession of a firearm as a felon, interference with official acts with a weapon, carrying weapons, and eluding.

UI police officials declined comment on the first alert.

Martin was later treated and released from the UI Hospitals and Clinics for minor injuries.

— by Jordyn Reiland