Five busted in fake drug check

Five people were arrested through a decoy drug checkpoint on Interstate 80 at the Tiffin rest area.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, John Clark, 60, Louisville, Ky., was charged April 20 with possession of marijuana and OWI.

Graham Dailey, 26, Shaftsbury, Vt., was charged April 20 with possession of a taxable substance without a tax stamp, possession of a controlled substance in a structure or vehicle, OWI, and a controlled-substance violation.

Jayson Wann, 23, Las Vegas, was charged April 20 with keeping a drug vehicle, a tax-stamp violation, and a controlled-substance violation.

Vanessa Vinall-Williams, 22, Des Moines, was charged April 20 with driving while barred.

Kenny Purnell Jr., 22, Last Vegas, was charged April 20 with a controlled-substance violation, possession of a controlled substance in a structure or vehicle, and failure to affix a tax stamp.

Police officials were conducting a decoy drug checkpoint on Interstate 80 at the Tiffin rest area, and officers allegedly observed a Dodge sedan exit at a high speed upon seeing the checkpoint.

According to the complaint, Clark was stopped, and he admitted to smoking marijuana prior to driving.

Police officials also searched a car belonging to Purnell and allegedly found approximately 15 pounds of marijuana as well as a quantity of cash.

— by Jordyn Reiland