Iowa Board of Regents to vote on approval for new buildings at the UI

The state Board of Regents will vote on April 26 on proceeding with the funding and planning of several proposed University of Iowa buildings and building modifications, including:

• An Oakdale Campus/UI Research Park vivarium for biosafety space and administrative space, at 41,000 square feet with an anticipated cost of $31 million.

• Renovations to piping, sinks, and vanities in student rooms in Stanley Hall, with an estimated cost of $60 million in Dormitory Improvement Funds.

• Waterproofing beneath the Pappajohn Exterior Playcourt, with an estimated cost of $2.5 million in University Hospitals Building Use Funds.

• Phase 2 of a Football Operations Facility to be located adjacent to and south of the new Indoor Athletics Practice and Recreation Facility. The proposed facility would include space for exercise, squad meetings, lockers, and coach’s offices, at an estimated cost of $30 million.

• A Substation Control Building upgrade to replace and modernize electrical switch gear, with an estimated cost of $6.9 million in Utility System Revenue Bonds and Utility System Replacement and Improvement Funds.

• A new indoor golf training facility near the Finkbine, with an estimated cost of about $2 million funded through Athletics Department gifts and income.

— by Luke Voelz