Judge: UI must put suspended radiology professor back on paid leave

A judge ordered a suspended University of Iowa radiology professor be returned to paid leave until the university decides his status.

Malik Juweid, 50, was placed on paid leave on the recommendation of a Threat Assessment Team after Juweid filed a complaint with the Iowa Civil Rights Commission in December 2010. He alleged his supervisor, UI radiology Professor Lauri Fajardo, referred to him as an "academic terrorist" and called a Pakistani staff member "Osama bin Laden."

Juweid then filed a lawsuit May 6 against the UI, state Board of Regents, and numerous UI officials, claiming UI officials retaliated against him for speaking out in his department against discrimination of Arab-Americans and the medical mistreatment of children.

UI spokesman Tom Moore said Juweid was placed on unpaid medical leave in December 2011, no longer allowing him his $241,000 annual salary.

Juweid’s attorney, Rockne Cole, said Juweid was not afforded his right to a disciplinary hearing before his paycheck stopped, and he should be on paid leave until the hearing.

Sixth District Judge Patrick Grady on Tuesday ordered Juweid be placed on paid administrative leave until the university follows procedures regarding "sick leave" status.

— by Beth Bratsos