Hawk Dawgs owner charged with possession of marijuana, laundering

Update: The money laundering charges and intent to distribute/tax stamp violation have been dropped since the publication of this police brief. Foust has completed probation and the cases are now expunged from his record.

A North Liberty man faces numerous charges after police allegedly found a half pound of marijuana, $7,000 in cash, and numerous guns during a search warrant served Feb. 14, 2011.

According to police, Ryan Foust, 27, 2387 Mehaffey Bridge Road N.E., was charged with money laundering, and possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute and while in possession of a firearm after police obtained the search warrant.

Police documents stated Foust was the owner and operator of Iowa City business Hawk Dogs at the time of the search warrant. Foust admitted during an interview with officials to using money gained from selling marijuana to keep his business running, according to police complaints.

During the search, officers allegedly located approximately a half-pound of marijuana and several smoking devices that indicated the residence was "used regularly to ingest marijuana," according to police.

Foust was also arrested in March 2011 and charged with OWI, eluding arrest, and assault causing bodily injury after allegedly leading law-enforcement officers on a car chase reaching 140 mph.

During the initial phases of the pursuit, dispatch received a phone call from a passenger of the vehicle who said he was begging the driver to stop, he didn’t know the driver, and the driver had been drinking, a police report said.

Foust was arrested last week for his February 2011 offenses, according to police, and also charged with failure to affix a tax stamp and gathering for use of marijuana.

— by Beth Brastos