Trial set for Iowa City woman charged with endangerment

A trial date has been set for an Iowa City woman charged with child endangerment.

Natasha Kriener, 26, 2018 Waterfront Drive, was charged Feb. 15 with child endangerment causing bodily injury after the father of her 23-month-old child took the child to the doctor after allegedly noticing signs of poor balance. The child was then diagnosed with intoxication and had a .09 blood alcohol concentration, according to court documents. Kriener is allegedly the primary custody holder of the child.

Sixth District Judge Sean McPartland on March 2 ordered that Kriener be released from custody under the supervision of the Department of Correctional Services. Release conditions replacing Kriener’s $20,000 bond include the requirement she undergo further assessments, evaluations, and recommended treatments, including intensive outpatient treatment. McPartland also ordered Kriener make no contact with her two children until further notice.

Kriener’s attorney, Dennis Cohen, said she had a very strong case for release because she has already obtained a substance-abuse evaluation, she has no criminal history, and her children are with their father, among other items.

A pretrial conference is scheduled for June 1, and the trial is set to begin June 12.

— by Beth Bratsos