Former UISG president running for Iowa House seat

A former University of Iowa Student Government president will run for a seat in the Iowa House of Representatives.

Maison Bleam, a 2009 UI graduate, announced his intention to run Feb. 10. The Twin Lakes resident said he intends to focus on issues such as state spending, education, and job creation.

"I really thought now is a good time for people in our generation to step up and start taking a hold of some of the issues that are affecting the state and the nation at this time," the 24-year-old told The Daily Iowan Sunday evening.

As UISG president, Bleam advocated for the installation of an Apple store in Iowa City, pushed for a movie theater in the IMU, and helped establish the Student Committee on Athletics — later renamed the Hawks Nest.

Bleam also served on The Daily Iowan‘s Student Publication Inc. governing board. He resigned after he decided to run for UISG president.

Bleam graduated from the UI with a degree in political science and ethics in public policy. Following graduation, he worked in the British Parliment, then came back to Iowa and served as a clerk for Rep. Nick Wagner, R-Marion, during the 2010 legislative session. He currently works as a special assistant for Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa.

Bleam will run against Rep. Tom Shaw, R-Laurens.

— by Alison Sullivan