Plummer attempted murder trial set for May

A former UI student’s attempted murder trial has been delayed.

The attempted-murder and willful-injury trial for 20-year-old Iowa City resident Branden Plummer has been pushed to May 14 at 9 a.m., according to court documents. It will be held in the 6th District Court in Tama County.

The pretrial conference is set for 11 a.m. May 4 at the Johnson County Courthouse.

Plummer, who attended classes at the University of Iowa last semester but is no longer listed in the university directory, allegedly assaulted police Sgt. Brian Krei on Nov. 18, 2011. Police reports said Krei approached Plummer because he was reportedly disrupting traffic at the intersection of Linn and Burlington Streets. Plummer allegedly proceeded to strangle Krei and hit his head against the sidewalk, causing him to lose consciousness.

According to court documents, Plummer attorney Mark Brown’s request for a bill of particulars was denied because "the state has set forth sufficient evidence as to both counts of the trial information from which the defendant is able to prepare a defense."

Plummer’s motion to dismiss the trial on grounds of "unconstitutionally vague" charges was overruled by 6th District Judge Paul Miller because, according to court documents, the information provided in the state’s trial information and minutes of testimony were not found to be.

— by Beth Bratsos