Hawkeye men’s golf announces two signings

The Iowa men’s golf team announced the signings of two golfers for the 2012-13 season on Monday.

Head coach Mark Hankins brought Voramate Aussarassakorn and Nate Yankovich aboard Hawkeye golf program. Aussarassakorn is from Bangkok, Thailand, and is ranked 65th in his class by the American Junior Golf Association Polo Golf rankings. He plays for Ramkhamhaeng Advent International School in prep play, and he has won the International Schools Junior Golf Championship three years in a row.

Aussarassakorn also has a number of top-10 finishes in American Junior Golf Association events, including a pair of fourth-place finishes at the Quad Cities Championship and the Coca-Cola Championship.

"He has played all over the world and proved he can play with the best junior players in the United States," Hankins said in a statement. "His overall game — mentally and physically — makes him extremely consistent for a young player."

Yankovich ranks 137th in the 2012 class, and helped St. Charles Preparatory in Blacklick, Ohio to state titles in 2009 and 2010. He was named to the Division I first team All-Ohio in 2009.

"Nate has been climbing the ladder, nationally, for the past two years," Hankins said. "He proved that with his solid play the past summer and fall."

— by Ben Schuff