Police officer allegedly fired at armed man

Iowa City police have placed an officer on paid administrative leave after he fired a handgun at an armed subject early Sunday morning.

According to a release by police, officers responded to 1009 N. Summit St. at 6:11 a.m. for a welfare check on Chad Newmire, 21, after a request from a relative, who had received a despondent text message from Newmire.

The release said an officer encountered Newmire outside the house, armed with a handgun in the waistband of his pants. Additional officers responded to assist, and police negotiated with Newmire for approximately 40 minutes before Newmire allegedly began making advancing movements toward the gun, according to the release.

One officer deployed less-lethal bean bag rounds at Newmire, another deployed his Taser, and a third fired a handgun to prevent Newmire from reaching the weapon in his waistband.

The release said Newmire was transported immediately to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, where he is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Officer Alirio Arcenas, a two-year veteran of the department, fired the handgun; he was placed on paid leave — a move consistent with department policy.

The release said the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation is conducting an investigation into the incident, assisted by the Johnson County Attorney’s Office.

— by Matt Starns