IC man charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief

An Iowa City man was charged Wednesday with fourth-degree criminal mischief and going armed with intent after he allegedly chased another man out of his apartment brandishing a knife.

According to a complaint by Iowa City police, Clifton Walker, 29, was trying to retrieve some of his belongings from his child’s mother’s apartment Tuesday when he found the lock on the apartment had been changed. He allegedly proceeded to kick the door open, breaking the door and door frame. Once inside the apartment, he found his child’s mother with another man, the complaint said.

Walker allegedly became very angry and told the other man, "I’ve got something for you." The complaint said he went into a bedroom and came back into the living room displaying a knife in a threatening manner toward the other man. Walker allegedly said, "I’m going to get you," and chased after the other man with the knife.

The complaint said Walker chased the other man out of the apartment and down the street, all while displaying the knife. The man said he feared for this safety and thought he was going to be cut by Walker, according to the complaint.

Going armed with intent is a Class-D felony; fourth-degree criminal mischief is a serious misdemeanor.

— by Matt Starns