Man charged after his pursuit leaves officer injured

Police charged a Johnston man after he allegedly ran from police, causing injury to officers.

Zachary Stitz, 18, was charged Nov. 5 with possession of a fictitious driver’s license, public intoxication, and two counts of interference with official acts causing bodily injury.

Complaints said Stitz was with a group of people at the intersection of Burlington and Johnson Streets when officers approached the crowd. A person in the crowd allegedly yelled an obscenity at the officers. Stitz was reportedly holding an open can of Keystone beer, which he contended he used to spit chewing tobacco into when officers made contact with him.

When officers asked for his identification, Stitz allegedly took off running, jumping fences and running through the residential neighborhood. Two officers sustained minor injuries during the pursuit, the complaint said.

When the officers caught up with Stitz, he allegedly admitted to being intoxicated. The complaint said he was placed under arrest and gave a post-arrest breath test result of 0.241. During a search incident to the arrest, officers found a fake driver’s license, the report said.

Both Stitz and one of the officers had to be treated at the hospital for injuries sustained during the chase, according to the report. The other officer received minor scratches from the incident.

— by Matt Starns