Three IC men face multiple drug charges

Three Iowa City men face numerous drug charges following an investigation into a 2010 overdose-related death of a 22-year-old at their residence.

According to a complaint by Iowa City police, officers and emergency medical personnel responded to the home — 730 E. Burlington St. — March 14, 2010, after receiving reports of a 22-year-old not breathing. Shortly after their arrival, they determined that the person was deceased. The complaint said a preliminary investigation indicated the cause of death was a drug overdose.

Officers obtained a search warrant for the residence in order to investigate the death. During the search of the home, officers reportedly located drugs and obtained a second warrant.

The complaint said police located cocaine, marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, cash, scales, and packaging materials during the searches.

Christopher Schwebach, 25, Matthew Schwebach, 23, and Alex Hannam, 23, were all charged Oct. 27 with keeping a drug house. In Hannam’s bedroom, salable amounts of cocaine were allegedly located, along with cutting agents, packaging materials, and a digital scale. Cocaine was also reportedly found in Matthew Schwebach’s bedroom.

The complaint also said officers located salable quantities of psilocybin mushrooms in Christopher Schwebach’s bedroom dresser, along with packaging materials, a digital scale, and cash. Marijuana was also reportedly located in the room.

In addition to the charge of keeping a drug house, Christopher Schwebach was charged with possession of psilocybin mushrooms with intent to deliver and possession of a marijuana.

A federal investigation into the overdose death prevented Iowa City police from proceeding with their prosecution of the three, but on Oct. 28 officers went to the residence with a warrant for the arrest of Christopher Schwebach. During a search of his person incident to his arrest, the report said officers located a dugout containing marijuana, a marijuana grinder, and a pipe. He was then charged with another count of possession of marijuana.

In addition to his charge of keeping a drug house, Alex Hannam was charged Oct. 27 with possession of a Schedule II controlled substance.

In addition to his drug-house charge, Matthew Schwebach was charged Oct. 27 with possession of a Schedule II controlled substance.

— by Matt Starns