Branstad launches public records website

Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds have launched a website that will make completed open-record requests visible to the public, the Governor’s Office announced Monday.

A press release said the open-records transparency page will contain a summary of all requests since Branstad took office in January and will be updated monthly.

"I am pleased today to announce the launch of this webpage that will allow the public to see what documents have been requested," said Branstad in the release. "Our administration is committed to open, honest government, and this page is another small step toward transparency."

The release said requests made between February and September have been posted. The page will show the details of the requests, the date they were filed, the documents requested, the number provided, the date completed, and the charge paid by the requester.

Since taking office, Branstad has been criticized on his transparency policy for continuing to charge for open-records requests and not fulfilling a request filed by the Iowa Democratic Party in the required 10 business days, or 20 calendar days.

Representatives of the Iowa Democratic Party have, in part, taken credit for the launching of the website following an investigation into the alleged mishandling of their records request by Branstad’s office last month.

— by Hayley Bruce