Trailer Park Boys bring comedy to IC

The members of the Trailer Park Boys never break from their ex-convict personas, even for interviews.

The show includes crazy antics, including one of the boys, Julian, taking his shirt off and doing a dance routine, stripping down into a tiny leopard print Speedo. Another one of the boys, Bubbles, will perform the famous tune "Liquor and Whores."

The Trailer Park Boys will unveil its brand-new live show "The Drunk, High, and Unemployed Tour," at 8 p.m. in the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St.

Trailer Park Boys is a Canadian mockumentary comedy television series created and directed by Mike Clattenburg. The show follows the lives of trailer-park residents of Sunnyvale Trailer Park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, many of whom happen to be ex-convicts, pot-smokers, and drunks.

Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles are open about their shenanigans, which often involves cops, drugs, and moneymaking schemes. The evening will include Bubbles trying to get into the movie business, Julian working on his moneymaking scams, and Ricky’s attempt to change the world.

"There’s a lot of drinking, smoking, and a little bit of fighting," Bubbles said. "We come to the town and get high, and we technically are unemployed."

The boys said they will interact with the audience throughout the night. They said they try to pick out members of the audience to assist them in their antics.

"I’m trying to get myself in a Hollywood movie. I’m going to work with the crowd to get a reel together," Bubbles said. "[I might] shoot myself out of a cannon, have a trapeze act, a tiger show, and light myself on fire."

Ricky said the only way for these the boys to make a living right now is to go on tour. As an added bonus, they get to see a lot of their fans, although their ex-convict records make it hard for them to travel easily.

"It’s hard for me to get into the United States of America," Ricky said. "[I have] convictions for drinking and driving, growing and selling marijuana, gunfights, and kidnapping."

The TV series airs in approximately 71 countries, and the live tour will play in Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, Germany, Italy, the United States, and Southeast Asia, the boys said.

For those who are dedicated fans of the seven seasons of the TV series, the live show does not stray far from their on-screen humor. Ricky said it is definitely quite similar but a lot more fun.

UI student Luke Tigges, an enthusiastic fan, said he expects to see the same funny one-liners and situations that the guys get embroiled in during a usual episode. Tigges said Julian has all the ideas, Ricky’s the partner in crime, and Bubbles always follows along.

"The dialogue is really a big part of what makes them so funny," Tigges said. "The small things such as Bubbles’ cats, Julian always carrying a drink around, and Ricky’s special talent for growing pot, all make the show that much more funny."

The "Drunk, High, and Unemployed" tour has been all over the United States, selling out at almost all of the venues. They have done it again at the Englert.

"[This will be] one of the funniest nights you’ll ever have in your life," Bubbles said. "People will laugh their asses off."