Hawkeye runners place 18th in St. Paul

The Iowa men’s cross-country team traveled to Minnesota this weekend to participate in the Roy Griak Invitational Meet.

The Hawkeyes finished 18th out of 24 teams at Les Bolstad golf course in St. Paul, Minn.

No. 13 North Carolina State finished first, followed by No. 10 Portland and No. 24 host team Minnesota.

Junior Nick Holmes placed best for Iowa, finishing 20th while recording his best-ever time of 24:36 in the 8K event. Freshman Kevin Lewis was the next Hawkeye to finish, earning 79th place with a time of 25:26 — also a personal best. Sophomore Jon Michael Brandt finished 133rd, followed by Ben Witt and Nikolai Mondragon. The pair placed 140th and 148th, respectively.

Head coach Larry Wieczorek said the tournament was a worthwhile outing for his runners, citing the learning experience of running in a big-time competition atmosphere.

"Our main goal was to get better," the 25 year-head coach said. "Another goal was to really show guys what it takes to beat a top NCAA team. There were some of the top runners and teams [in the country] there this weekend; we got the education."

The Black and Gold will resume competition Oct. 14 at the Panorama Farms Invitational in Charlottesville, N.C.

— by Ben Ross