UIHC sees record revenue, moves on $176 million renovations

WEST DES MOINES — The state Board of Regents on Tuesday unanimously approved a University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics request for $176.7 million for remodeleing and renovation projects over the next five years.

Also at Tuesday’s meeting in WestDes Moines, officials reported total revenue for the UIHC during fiscal 2011 was significantly more than expected, totaling just over $1 million. Last year, the revenue added up to about $940,000.

UIHC Chief Financial Officer Ken Fisher said the facility has reached its capacity in many of its surgical centers, and it needs "a place for [physicians] to practice their craft."

The UIHC plans to spend $90 million on the construction of an Adult Critical Care Bed Tower. Officials expect the total cost of the tower project to be $489 million.

The plan will develop four new ambulatory surgical center operating rooms and support facilities on the fourth level of the Pomerantz Family Pavilion west addition rooftop to enhance the eight current operating rooms, according to the request.

Additionally, two more operating rooms will be developed in the main operating room suite.

"We set high goals because we think we can achieve them," said Jean Robillard, the UI vice president for Medical Affairs.

And each patient’s length of stay, although it has remained fairly steady, is an ongoing concern with UIHC officials.

"We’re trying to really drive down length of stay in every area we can," Fisher said.

The regents also approved a request for a $20.9 million budget and schematic design for the ambulatory surgery center and main operating room suite expansion project.

The request also includes plans for a new $90 million Pharmacy Building.

In addition to UIHC projects, the UI as a whole plans to spend $323.8 million on capital improvements around campus in te next five years, including $54 million for the construction of a new residence hall.