Locals react to Obama’s jobs, deficit plans

‘This is election year and we recognize that Republicans won’t support [the American Jobs Act], but the bill is literally everything they have been supporting for the past three years. We don’t see why anyone would not support it.’

— Nate Fiala, University of Iowa Democrats president

‘It’s an excellent place to start. A bold move to get people working and also identifies training opportunities for all ages. It is truly my hope that the house Republicans take politics out of it and help move this bill forward.’

— Rep. Dave Jacoby, D-Coralville

‘It’s not about getting the win, it’s about American people winning … We need to understand how to work together and put politics aside.’

— Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, Democratic National Committee chairwoman

‘President Obama’s plan is a bait and switch that offers more than $1 trillion in higher taxes for a promise of temporary tax relief. The president penalizes investment when it is needed most, discourages charitable giving, and doubles down on a failed government stimulus strategy.’

— Rick Perry, Republican Iowa caucuses candidate

‘If Warren Buffett believes he doesn’t pay enough taxes, then he should write a check today to the Treasury, but he and the president shouldn’t enact warfare on the millions of small businesses, on charities, and on middle class America with increased tax burdens. The president is compromising the future of our children with his plan to continue spending and increase taxes, and he is ruining the American economy.’

— Michele Bachmann, Republican Iowa caucuses candidate

‘President Obama’s plan to raise taxes will have a crushing impact on economic growth. Higher taxes mean fewer jobs — it’s that simple. This is yet another indication that President Obama has no clue how to bring our economy back. I encourage President Obama to look at my detailed economic plan to create long-term growth and prosperity for our nation. The only way to get our economy moving again is to elect a president who understands how to create jobs and rein in spending — that is why I am running.’ 

— Mitt Romney, Republican Iowa caucuses candidate