Hawkeye broadcasting legend Brooks to be honored

Iowa broadcasting legend Bob Brooks will be the charter member of the Kingston Stadium Hall of Fame and will have the stadium’s press box named after him, a Cedar Rapids School District release said Monday.

Brooks’ 67-year broadcasting career includes a range of topics, from Iowa high-school sports coverage to the Olympics. In 1952, he was the first person to broadcast from the Kingston Stadium Press Box.

Now working at KMRY-1450 AM in Cedar Rapids, Brooks has won the Iowa Broadcaster of the Year Award eight times. He has also been recognized with Hall of Fame inductions by the Iowa Broadcasters Association, Iowa High School Football Association, and the Cedar Rapids Kernels, among others.

Brooks’ current radio ventures include covering the Iowa football team, which he has done for more than 50 years.

The Bob Brooks Press Box will be officially unveiled on Sept. 30, when Brooks will be recognized during halftime of the Cedar Rapids Jefferson-Cedar Rapids Kennedy football game.

“Bob is the icon of high-school sports in Cedar Rapids and of Kingston Stadium,” Bill Happel, a member of the nominating committee, said in a release. “Naming the press box in his honor will certainly be cheered by our entire community.”

— by Matt Cozzi