Burge convenience store under construction

Unlike the students who came before her, Hannah Philgreen will not have to walk across campus to pick up light bulbs and trash bags to restock her dorm room.

Soon, Burge will have a new convenience store to accommodate the large student population.

"This means I don’t have to walk all the way to the Old Capitol mall," Philgreen said, standing outside the Burge Marketplace on Thursday.

Robert James, the University Dining assistant director of retail operations, said the store — named Clinton Street Market — will include a coffee shop and convenience store to serve both sandwiches and hot food.

"It’s all about the convenience factor," James said. "It will not only save a trip downtown late at night but also cut down on delivery charges for students."

Estimated costs for the project are $700,000 to $800,000 said Jeff Aaberg, the University Housing & Dining assistant director of facilities and operations. The self-funded UI department will pay for the construction, including new carpet and furniture in the refurbished Burge lobby.

Even though several convenience stores are located on campus, James said, officials decided to build a new one to benefit the ever-growing student population. Burge was the best opportunity for a new store because of its space availability and central location, he said.

Slated to open the first week of October, the Clinton Street Market will feature a large variety of items, including school supplies, beverages, food, and health and beauty products. James said there will be seating available outside the store to offer a café atmosphere.

"The inside of the market will be similar to most convenient stores but with nicer and cleaner fixtures," James said.

Construction, which began in April, has momentarily halted as students move into the dorms to reduce clutter and congestion.

"We didn’t want to add stress and confusion for incoming students," James said.

Construction will resume in September once students are settled.

The hours of operation will be 8 a.m. to midnight Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to midnight on Saturdays and Sundays.