Kach still money in final GTL rankings

The Game Time League playoffs began on Wednesday as four teams played for a chance to advance to the second round. This is the last edition of The Daily Iowan’s Game time rankings, and the teams are presented in their expected order of finish.

1. Monica’s/Bob’s Your Uncle

Monica’s had a bye on Wednesday but played Cullen/Falbo in a scrimmage — and won by 47 points. Kachine Alexander, Jacqui Kalin, and MacKenzie Wescott have to be feeling good after the exhibition, even if it didn’t mean anything for their record.

This team shouldn’t struggle at all; it has dominated the competition so far; including the exhibition, Monica’s has won each of its five games by an average of 34.6 points.

Last week: No. 1

2. Cullen/Falbo

The team finished second in the regular season and didn’t play a regulation game on Wednesday. Cullen barely showed up for its exhibition game, either; it was pounded by Monica’s.

The trio of Melissa Dixon, Kelly Krei, and K.K. Armstrong needs to be at its best to reach the finals. If the three can get the ugly loss out their heads, they should be able to use it as motivation in the semis.

Last week: No. 2

3. Vinton/McCurry’s

Kamille Wahlin did not play in Vinton’s playoff victory, but her teammates stepped up big-time. Kalli Hansen, Bethany Doolittle, and Stacy Clark combined for 51 points, and Amber Sorenson pitched in with 14 points and a team-high 9 rebounds.

If the role players can provide consistent scoring, this team can turn some heads in the next round against Monica’s.

Last week: No. 3

4. Pelling/Culver’s

Morgan Johnson scored 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting in Pelling’s playoff victory, but the team doesn’t have a consistent second scorer.

This will spell trouble in the next round, because the remaining teams have numerous options on the offensive end.

Last week: No. 5

5. Coralville Hy-Vee (eliminated)

Star freshmen Virginia Johnson and Samantha Logic combined for 18 points on 7-of-27 shooting in Hy-Vee’s early exit against Pelling. When the top two players on a team struggle that badly, it only spells trouble.

Jessica McDowell and Chelsie Rohrs combined for 24 points on 9-of-13 shooting, but it wasn’t enough to get the win.

Last week: No. 4

6. Two Rivers (eliminated)

Two Rivers went winless throughout the regular season and playoffs. Jaime Printy’s absence due to a minor surgery really hurt the team, which didn’t have a go-to player. Coach Randy Larson admitted he made a mistake drafting her in the first round without first checking on her health.

Defensively, the team gave up 78.8 points per game; on the other end of the court, Two Rivers only scored 63.2 points per game.

Last week: No. 6

Player of the Week: Kalli Hansen

Hansen scored 18 points on 6-of-10 shooting and collected 6 assists and 5 rebounds in Vinton’s victory over Two Rivers. She stepped up and did just enough for her team to win without normal leading scorer Wahlin.

The DI’s Game Time rankings have been published every Friday. This week’s rankings are subjective and reflect the expected order of finish in the Game Time playoffs.