IC School board approves Borlaug boundaries

The School Board voted unanimously to approve the new Borlaug Elementary boundaries on Tuesday night.

And after two months and seven plans, the administration said the draft encompasses the 21 objectives the board set out to complete in the most effective way.

“[The plan] did the best job,” board member Tuyet Dorau said, adding those objectives include safety, capacity, and demographics.

Superintendent Stephen Murley agreed, saying he thinks the plan meets all of the primary expectations the board had in mind when creating the Borlaug boundaries.

“We as an administration team feel very confident in recommending the boundary plan 4C to you,” Murley told the board.

And though the two-month process was long for some, the board members agreed it was necessary in order to get the job done right. Dorau said the long process allowed the board a legitimate amount of time to go over numerous drafts, host forums, and gain community input.

“It was a fairly good process,” she said.

Murley said the biggest challenge faced in approving the drafts was recognizing children would need to be moved and that changes would be made — because of the opening of Borlaug Elementary, which prompted the redistricting.

Borlaug will open for the 2012-13 school year.

The next step in meeting the deadline will be communicating with parents from the affected areas. The board is expected to discuss issues ranging from registration to room assignments.

Murley said the board members wanted to receive as much community input as possible in creating the boundaries. They had two forums regarding the boundaries and numerous listening sessions.

The issues discussed included demographics, neighborhoods, and fiscal considerations.

However, not everyone is satisfied with the new boundaries. Pheasant Ridge parent Ima Hamed disagreed with the board’s decision, saying the children of his community, who will go Weber Elementary, were promised they would attend Borlaug.

Hills parent Julie Van Dyke agreed with him, contending that the board favored the opinions of wealthier areas as opposed to such areas as Pheasant Ridge.

“You always favor the wealthier community at the expense of the schools that have higher free- and reduced-lunch ratios,” she told the board.

Van Dyke, who announced her plans to run for the School Board Tuesday, said the board members don’t make themselves accessible to the entire community.

Board member Toni Cilek appreciated the parents’ comments, noting that it made the final verdict that much more difficult.

“It makes it so much harder to make the decision that we think is best for the entire district,” she said.