Area woman sues UI clinic

A Johnson County woman has filed a lawsuit against the University of Iowa Quick Care North Liberty following an incident in which she said medical officials allegedly failed to diagnose her with cancer, court documents said.

In the suit filed June 10, Christina Waddell, 41, named the state of Iowa and UI Quick Care North Liberty responsible for two counts of negligence for the alleged failure of its employees to diagnose and treat her cancer.

Court documents said Waddell went to UI Quick Care North Liberty in June 2009 with complaints of a sore nail on her left ring finger. She was reportedly diagnosed with a fungal infection.

Documents said Waddell returned to UI Quick Care North Liberty about a month later with the same symptoms, and she was allegedly diagnosed with ringworm.

In December 2009, documents said Waddell went to the UI Hospitals and Clinics with the same symptoms and was diagnosed with cancer. Documents said her finger was amputated, the cancer has spread, and it will “likely kill her.”

The lawsuit said the plaintiff’s damages include but are not limited to past and future physical and mental pain and suffering, loss of full body and enjoyment of life, and past and future medical expenses.

Waddell’s attorney, James K. Weston II, could not immediately be reached for comment.

— by Hayley Bruce