Top stories of the spring 2011 semester

A University of Iowa professor who sent a vulgar e-mail to members of the UI College Republicans has seen an outpouring of negative e-mails from students, graduates, and community members.

A second university release said the symptoms the student-athletes are being treated for were likely related to winter workouts.

Professor Ellen Lewin criticized the student organization for using the term “coming out,” saying it was “appropriating the language of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender rights movement.”

In a memo to the City Council, Boothroy said Iowa City zoning laws do not support commercial vending along Melrose, which faces Kinnick Stadium to the south, and he recommends enforcing the law.

Attorney Christopher Warnock said that Apartments Downtown may be taking advantage of a population that is largely unaware of their rights as tenants.

Legislators introduced a bill in the Iowa House Wednesday that would require the University of Iowa to sell its famous Jackson Pollock painting and use the revenue for scholarship assistance.

Nearly one year after the initial incident, an investigative report from the Chicago police released exclusively to the DI offers insight into a story that has been clouded with confusion and unanswered questions.

University of Iowa officials have not altered their plans to host an upcoming lecture, despite an international organization’s letter decrying the speaker’s stance on the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

An Iowa House subcommittee voted on Wednesday in favor of legislation that would force the University of Iowa to sell the state’s most famous work of art to fund student scholarships.

Councilors Regenia Bailey, Connie Champion, Ross Wilburn, and Mike Wright expressed some interest in lowering the fines and fees. Being underage in a bar after hours comes with the $735 ticket.

Linda Rainforth, who taught Elkhalifa transcendental meditation, conducts free introductory lectures. She said there are well more than 100 Iowa City residents who meditate, with thousands in Iowa.