Rhabdo-stricken Lowe requests release

Iowa defensive back Willie Lowe has asked for a release from his scholarship to allow him to transfer, ESPN.com’s Joe Schad reported Tuesday night.

Lowe was one of the 13 Hawkeyes hospitalized in January when they suffered from rhabdomyolysis — a condition that sees muslce tissues break down rapidly and can affect the kidneys — following team workouts.

Lowe told Schad he wasn’t sure if he’ll be able to play again.

“I don’t know. I would like to be able to sit out a year, regain my strength, feel fine, and play again. But I don’t know,” the senior-to-be told Schad. “I am still down 20 pounds, and I have headaches every few days.”

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said March 23 that 12 of the 13 players — linebacker Shane DiBona is recovering from shoulder surgery — had been cleared medically to participate in spring practice

Another player who was hospitalized with the muscle syndrome, cornerback Shaun Prater, said last week he was “back to normal.”

“Just the first practice I felt a little sluggish, kind of slow,” he said on March 30. “But since then, I’ve been picking off balls, running smoothly.”

Monday was the first time Lowe worked out since being hospitalized, Schad reported.

“Only a few players are back to full speed that I know of,” Lowe told Schad. “Some said this wasn’t a big deal. But this was a big deal to me.”