Regina president to leave for Dubuque

In her three years at the Regina Catholic Education Center, President Carol Trueg secured a bus system and updated the school’s technology infrastructure. But soon, she’ll return to her roots.

On July 1, Trueg will leave Regina to take the position of Chief Administrator at Holy Family Catholic Schools in Dubuque — where she was raised and educated.

And though Trueg said she will miss Regina, she said she’s looking forward to reconnecting with family and friends.

“I’m a product of [the Holy Family Catholic Schools system], and I have a lot of family in the area, so those reasons were pretty compelling,” Trueg said, adding she will now be closer to her 90-year-old mother and other family members. “It’s been 28 years since I’ve lived in Dubuque, so I’ll be able to reconnect with a lot of people I knew when I was going to school there.”

Holy Family officials asked Trueg to apply for the position in February, and she officially accepted March 31.

Those who work with her said they are sad to see her go.

“I have all positive things to say about Carol,” said Regina parent, volunteer, and substitute teacher Colleen Hogan. “I have worked on several committees with her and have found her to be very professional, and she has always looked out for the best for our Regina family.”

Though she will be missed, many commended her for her work during her three-year tenure.

“She’s done an excellent job over the last three years,” said Regina School Board Chairman Jim Howe. “We’re sorry to see her go but wish her the best at her new job.”

Howe said Trueg was “instrumental” in arranging a private busing service for Regina students when the Iowa City School District cut its busing in 2009, along with mediating a mold issue that delayed school earlier this academic year.

Aside from the busing system, Trueg said she’s proud to leave Regina “well-poised for the future” with an updated technology infrastructure, complete with wiring, switches, wireless access points, and several new computers.

Along with Trueg’s diverse background in the Catholic school system, Holy Family Catholic Schools Chairman Tom Flogel said Trueg was an ideal candidate because she shares the same vision as many in the district, and has done things at Regina they hope she can replicate.

“Our vision is to be all-inclusive, to have a program that people are dying to get their kids into, that we are fiscally responsible and devise a plan to have endowments so that the system will be here long after we are all gone,” Flogel said.

Though some have expressed interest in replacing Trueg, Howe said the school is in the process of forming a national search committee to select someone who can “continue the strong work she started.”

Trueg said she will miss the people she worked with at Regina.

“I think I’ll take away many fond memories,” she said. “Perhaps the first is the passion that people have for Regina — it’s a tremendous community.”