Satterfield sentenced; Judge drops counts in Mills case

The assault case involving former Hawkeye football player Abe Satterfield came to a close Wednesday, more than three years after the alleged incident.

Satterfield was sentenced to pay a $625 fine and $326 in victim restitution. He also received a five-year restraining order. He was sentenced to two days in jail, but he has already served that time.

In fall 2007, a female Hawkeye student-athlete accused Satterfield and former teammate Cedric Everson of sexually assaulting her in a Hillcrest dorm room. Originally charged with second- and third-degree sexual abuse, Satterfield later pleaded guilty to assault with intent to inflict serious injury, a simple misdemeanor.

Satterfield’s sentencing was originally scheduled for Friday, but it was moved up and became a written sentence for convenience, said Satterfield’s attorney, Alfredo Parrish.

“I think it’s a good end to what has been a long and difficult journey for him, and I think he’s ready to move on,” Parrish said.

He said the sentence was what they had bargained for. As part of his plea deal, Satterfield agreed to testify against Everson.

“The state kept its commitment, and we kept ours,” Parrish said.

Satterfield testified for the state, but his testimony arguably helped Everson. He told jurors that the victim was the “aggressor” and, as far as he knew, nothing happened between Everson and the woman.

Everson’s trial ended in January after he was cleared of all sexual-abuse charges and instead found guilty of simple assault, the lowest possible charge. Even though the criminal cases are close to over, several civil suits are still ongoing.

Also on Wednesday, three counts of former University of Iowa General Counsel Marcus Mills’ lawsuit against were thrown out, and three were partially dismissed. Mills’ accusations of breach of contract and failure to pay wages remain untouched.

After an investigation by the Stolar Partnership accused the UI of mishandling the case, UI President Sally Mason fired Mills and Dean of Students Phillip Jones. Both sued for wrongful termination and defamation.

The lawsuit names the UI, UI President Sally Mason, the state Board of Regents, Regent Bonnie Campbell, and the Stolar Partnership.

A federal judge ruled the regents could be a defendant in the lawsuit. He also said Campbell and Mason could only be sued as individuals for monetary gain. But they can remain in the lawsuit in their official capacity as long as Mills is trying to seek non-financial restitution, such as his position.

Accusations of defamation, intentional interference with contract, and blacklisting were dismissed.

UI law Professor Patrick Bauer said the judge’s decision to dismiss more than the lawsuit’s charges isn’t unusual.

“It happens,” he said. “It doesn’t mean that it’s the end of the lawsuit.”

Mills could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

One local official said she was unhappy with the results of the Satterfield case.

Karla Miller, the executive director of the Rape Victim Advocacy program referred to the sentencing as a “miscarriage of justice.”

“This case has a chilling effect on all women and anyone who loves them and cares about them,” she said.

She said victims of sexual abuse have told her outcomes of cases like this one can determine whether they come forward.

Everson’s sentencing is set for April 22.