Football ticket prices to increase

Iowa will increase the price of its football tickets for the second-consecutive year.

The cost of general-public season tickets will rise from $360 to $374, and season tickets for UI faculty and staff will increase from $290 to $304 — both seeing an increase of $2 per game.

Student season tickets will be priced at $175, up $1 per game from last year’s $168. The same tickets were priced at $154 two years ago.

The hike was announced Tuesday by Athletics Director Gary Barta at the UI’s Presidential Committee on Athletics meeting.

Ticket sales — primarily football — generate about a third of the athletic department’s overall revenue, Barta said.

2010 marked the first time the university increased football ticket prices in three years. UI Associate Athletics Director Mark Jennings said last year the department typically aims to raise prices every two years but waited a third because of the state of the economy.

Per-competition ticket prices for men’s and women’s basketball and wrestling — which averaged a school-record 8,200-plus fans per home meet this season — will not see an increase next year.

Iowa will open its 2011 season against Tennessee Tech on Sept. 3 in Kinnick Stadium. The Hawkeyes will begin spring practice the week of March 21 and conclude with a spring game on April 16.