Student organizations volunteer for Dance Marathon

In addition to the hundreds of dancers who will face 24 hours on their feet during this weekend’s Dance Marathon “Big Event,” other university organizations work behind the scenes to support the largest student group on campus.

Dance Marathon adviser Courtney Bond said a large number of student organizations signed up to pitch in.

“From year to year, our major volunteers and organizations tend to be the same,” Bond said. “But we also tend to get new people each year.”

University of Iowa Community Credit Union employees volunteered to help run bag check at the Big Event this year, said Pagelyn Howren, the branch manager.

“We have helped out for the past two years, and we thought it would be a good fit for us to do bag check, because they need a lot of volunteers for that job,” she said.

Howren said it’s important to the credit union to volunteer at Dance Marathon and be involved on campus in a variety of ways. This year, she said, the credit union will send about 25 to 30 volunteers.

Dance Marathon officials try to work with other student-run groups and get them involved, said Elyse Meardon, the Dance Marathon sponsorship director.

“We are trying to work with organizations so they are included in the event and they can also promote their business during the event,” she said. “We help each other out throughout the year.”

Meardon also said Students Today Alumni Tomorrow members are coming at 3 a.m. on Saturday, along with two Cold Stone Creamery representatives, to help pass out ice cream to all the dancers.

The Office of Sustainability has also offered to help keep things clean during the event by helping with trash and making sure items are recycled.

“We are making an effort to be more sustainable and green by recycling items,” Meardon said.

The UI Foundation will serve meals to the dancers, which will be sponsored by Panchero’s and Panda Express, Meardon said.

And KRUI radio will provide music for the dancers.

Dolan Murphy, the general manager of KRUI radio, said the station will have a table at the Big Event and will play such games as “name that tune” with the dancers, Murphy said.

Murphy said it seemed natural for two of the largest organizations on campus to work together.

“[Dance Marathon] is the biggest event on campus, and it really makes sense for us to help out,” Murphy said. “We have such a big staff, and it’s a great way to reach out to another big staff and collaborate.”