Jen Gloeckner performs at Gabe’s today

Singer and songwriter Jen Gloeckner began recording music in a bedroom-turned-studio. From there, her music spread to France, England, and Portugal. And at 8 p.m. today, her music will reach Iowa City.

Gloeckner will perform with the Wandering Bears at Gabes, 330 E. Washington St. Tickets are $7 at the door.

With the release of her début album, Miles Away, in 2005, she received worldwide press. From MOJO magazine in the UK to Blitz magazine in Portugal, the CD caught the attention of indie-music critics.

The Mississippi native’s songs often have minimal lyrics but different rhythms and layers of sound. Described as "soothing," Gloeckner’s songs are inspired by the sights and moods acquired in her dreams.

After collaborating with a variety of professional musicians, including French record producer Hector Zazou and American artist Joseph Arthur, she released her second album, Mouth to Mars, in April 2009.

Unlike Gloeckner, the Wandering Bears is well-acquainted with Iowa City. When the five-member band is not touring the United States, it can be found drawing crowds at the local Java House or the Mill.

Inspired by Fleetwood Mac, the Wandering Bears produces both pop and rock music. The band’s song "Take Care, Kiddo" is often referred to as one of the best-known pop songs released in Iowa City.

— by Laura Willis