Singer/songwriter performs tonight at IMU

Megan McCormick wants to know her fans. The Nashville musician encourages her listeners and others to contact her online — just one gesture that expresses the character of the young performer and one that sets her apart from musicians of her status.

“I would suggest people get in touch with me on Facebook,” McCormick said while weaving in and out of traffic and paying tolls on the New York interstate. “I do all the online communication stuff. I like to be in touch with everybody.”

The down-to-earth musician will visit Iowa City to play for the fourth time, now welcomed by SCOPE. The concert will begin at 9:30 p.m. today in the IMU Black Box Theater. Admission is $12.

The 23-year-old musician is touring to promote her newest album, Honest Words, on which she speaks about personal life experiences with love, relationships, and addiction. Gabe talent booker Paul Knapp believes she is one of the better musicians that venue has had and one who will make it big.

“Megan is just phenomenal. Hell of a guitar player,” Knapp said. “[Her music] is well thought-out, wise beyond her years. It hits you when you listen to it.”

McCormick has spent much of her past year on the road as part of her tour, something she believes is necessary.

“I’ve been all over the country, just keeping at it,” she said. “Your main source of income is selling albums, so touring is essential.”

Through touring, she has had some dreamlike experiences as a musician, such as meeting Bruce Springsteen, but she still resonates the most with her fans.

“When the sound of the room is great, the show goes great, and you meet people, talking to them about how the music affects them,” she said about the best experiences she had while touring. “It’s all about having a relationship with the audience.”

The young singer/songwriter has been influenced by music for most of her life, growing up in a family of musicians. Her grandparents were very fond of jazz and swing, and her parents were open to new styles, such as rock ’n’ roll.

McCormick shares that open mind with an ever changing style. She does not label herself as a genre-specific player.

“I went through a period where I was really obsessed on bluegrass. That was the only time I’ve had my mind set on one thing,” she said. “It’s not just one genre. The album and live shows encompass a lot of different styles and genres.”

McCormick plans to continue recording and touring. She wants it to be known, though, that it is also her passion.

“They [concertgoers] can expect a raw, organic performance. I got a great band behind me,” she said. “A good organic rock ’n’ roll show.”

Knapp, who’s booked McCormick twice at Gabe’s, has seen more than just her musical side. He also had good things to say about her athleticism. Before one of her shows at Gabe’s, McCormick asked to go outside to toss around the football in the street. This came as a surprise to Knapp.

“She’s got an arm. Can throw a football,” he said. “Pretty impressive for a musician.”