Q&A with Pat Angerer

DI: What has life been like for you since you walked off the field in Miami after winning the Orange Bowl?

Angerer: It’s been cool. … I just work out, go out, and eat all day, so it’s been pretty nice.

DI: When you were growing up, how much of a dream was it to want to play in the NFL?

Angerer: I think it’s every kid’s, but it wasn’t such a reality until I started believing in it. It’s cool that it’s about to happen … hopefully. Hopefully, somebody’s dumb enough to pick me up.

DI: As a follow-up to that, when did you sense it could become a reality?

Angerer: I think it was once I started getting on the field and playing. Once I really started working for it and started focusing on it and focusing on improving every day and improving everything that I do.

DI: When you were growing up, did you have a favorite team or any favorite players that you loved to follow?

Angerer: Not really. I never really took the time to sit down and watch a game. I was always running around doing something crazy, trying to get in trouble or something like that.

DI: What did you take away from the experience of being able to go to the NFL Combine a couple months ago?

Angerer: It was fun. It really showed you how much of a business it really is. I’ve done a lot of medical stuff, a lot of stuff you wouldn’t expect. The cool thing was just meeting all the coaches and all the players and getting to know people.

DI: When you were there, what would you say was the best encounter you had? What would you say were your fondest memories?

Angerer: I think it was fun just being able to meet with the coaches, just having them draw out plays and showing them how you would play in their defense. Nobody really stood out. I really enjoyed every meeting with the coaches. They’re really cool. They’re all different … You see these big names, and they’re just normal guys.

DI: Have you gotten a chance to talk to any former teammates who have made it into the NFL and what advice have they given you?

Angerer: I talked to a lot of them. One of the really good things about Iowa is there are a lot of guys in the NFL and a lot of guys who are willing to help you out. I think the biggest thing is you got to come in there one-sided every day for your job and for your life and for your family. It’s going to be a really big challenge, but I’m up for it.

DI: As far as the draft stuff, do you ever pay attention to what people might say about you or where they think you’ll go?

Angerer: Not really. It doesn’t really matter what people say. People writing and all that stuff, it doesn’t matter. What matters is what the coaches think.

DI: Do you have any plans in terms of what you’re going to do for the draft? Are you going to watch the draft, or avoid it completely?

Angerer: I don’t know. I don’t think I’ll be watching it. It’s always kind of boring, and it can drag on a little bit. I don’t think I’ll watch it on Thursday because I don’t think I’ll probably go in the first round.

DI: What do you believe are the best attributes you can provide to a team?

Angerer: I obviously think I have good leadership. It will probably take me a little bit to have all the schemes down and stuff, but I think my instincts are going to help out a lot, especially when I’m not going to be knowing exactly what I’m doing. I think my instincts will help me out a little bit, hopefully.

DI: From the talks you’ve had with different coaches, general managers, scouts and what not, what type of constructive criticism, if any, have you gotten? Is there anything they say they want you to work on that you feel you’ll be able to improve upon?

Angerer: When it comes to improvement, I think there’s a million things I can do differently and do better. The coolest thing is I remember going into my freshman year of college, and that first week there, I just learned so much that I wished I could have gone back to high school and done all that stuff. I think I’ll learn as much in the first week as I did that first week of college. It’s going to be fun learning and improving.

DI: When you look back on your time at Iowa, what do you take away that you feel is going to help prepare you for this next chapter in your life?

Angerer: I think growing up. It really helped me grow up and become a man and just know that you got to do what you have to do, and you got to do what the coaches want you doing. At Iowa, they really stress hard work and little things, just doing the little things right.

DI: Last question: If you were to tell me why you think you’d have a solid NFL career, what would you say?

Angerer: I got nothing else to do. I might as well, you know?