Student charged with theft

A University of Iowa student allegedly stole a computer from a university office, authorities said.

Michael Lash, 21, 112 1/2 E. Washington St., was charged April 17 with second-degree theft, along with possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia.

According to UI police, Lash was the only student who had entered the Jessup Hall office from which a computer worth $1,940 was stolen. Another person purchased the same model of computer from a Michael Lash on eBay, police reports show.

Officers said Lash told them he wanted to be honest but didn’t know what the repercussions would be.

When a search warrant was served, police saw photos of the same model of computer on Lash’s digital camera, police said. During the same search, officers found a bong with suspected marijuana residue, a small roach, a partial package of rolling paper, and a partial roll of toilet paper with fabric softener sheets inside the tube with residue believed to be from marijuana smoke.

A search of his belongings when he was arrested located a small glass vial with hash oil, police reports show.

Second-degree theft is a Class D felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a maximum fine of $7,500.

— by Regina Zilbermints