Brust re-opens recruiting search

For the second time in four days, the Iowa men’s basketball team had an incoming recruit ask for and be granted a release from his scholarship.

On Monday, it was guard Ben Brust of Mundelein, Ill., who was granted a release from head coach Fran McCaffery, joining forward Cody Larson as recruits who have decommitted.

Brust originally committed to Iowa and former head coach Todd Lickliter; he met McCaffery in person for the first time on April 10.

“Ben would like us, as a new coaching staff, to pursue and re-recruit him,” McCaffery said in a statement on Monday. “I have had encouraging conversations with Ben and enjoyed meeting him and his family. We look forward to getting to know Ben more in the recruiting process.”

Brust did not take any media inquiries on Monday, but he did send out a statement saying it was in his best interests to re-evaluate.

“I know the University of Iowa has a lot to offer, and I’ve enjoyed the times I’ve already been able to spend in Iowa City,” he said in the statement. “Coach McCaffery and I are still getting to know each other, and we will continue the recruiting process.

“However, in order for me to explore my options and do my due diligence, I’ve requested a release from my letter of intent.”

— by Brendan Stiles