Golden Ticket officially wins in uncontested UISG race

With one of the lowest turnouts in the past decade, the University of Iowa Student Government election results didn’t offer many surprises.

Students elected unopposed junior John Rigby and junior Erica Hayes of the “Golden Ticket” slate as UISG president and vice president. Because of the small number of candidates, each senatorial hopeful also earned a seat.

During the inauguration ceremony Sunday in the Kinnick Stadium press box, Rigby set the tone for his tenure as the 50th UISG president.

“We want our student government to be an invaluable resource for students, a transparent body they can always rely on and turn to,” he said. “We want student government to create opportunities, bridge divides, establish and develop connections on campus and in the community.”

During campaigning, Rigby and Hayes vowed to extend the IMU’s hours of operation, increase sustainability efforts, and create a community-service project with local high schools. The two told The Daily Iowan last week that they kept their platform more feasible, a benefit of running unopposed.

Hayes detailed various facets of their platform in her inaugural address, including civic engagement and community involvement.

“I am thrilled to see what is going to happen this term,” she said. “Together, we have quite a to-do list.”

Slightly more than 9 percent of undergraduate students voted in the election.

Rigby said the candidates weren’t disappointed in the turnout.

“Hearing people say, ‘Hey, I voted for you’ — that felt pretty good,” he said.

Outgoing UISG President Michael Currie said he has “utmost confidence” in the duo and offered some words at their inauguration.

“Make sure that you find your own success and stick to your principles,” he said. “Remember that you represent not just the students but also the University of Iowa as a whole.”

Newly elected freshman senator Brittany Phillips said having a voice in student government is important, and she thinks Golden Ticket’s platform goals stand a good chance of implementation.

“I think that a lot of things are feasible, especially because we all ran on the same ticket,” she said. “We all have the same goals.”

UISG will fill other executive positions on April 25. For now, Rigby said they’ll turn their focus to platform issues, including meeting with various student organizations.

The new administration will have its first meeting at 7 p.m. April 27.