UISG Golden Ticket party touts platform ideas

The lone candidates in this year’s University of Iowa Student Government vote say running unopposed has enabled them to create a more feasible platform, decreasing the pressure to make outrageous and unrealistic claims.

UISG vice-presidential hopeful Erica Hayes, who currently serves as the speaker of the Senate, is a three-year veteran and was elected as a freshman senator in 2007. Presidential candidate John Rigby, a current executive senator, has been involved in UISG for one year, and he has served on various committees including Governmental Relations.

As senatorial candidates last year, the pair experienced what UISG members have called one of the most grueling elections in recent history. Now, as seasoned verterans of UISG affairs and elections, they say they are prepared to lead.

Some of their ideas include:

Extend the IMU’s hours of operation: The desire to have a building accessible 24 hours is “the biggest thing we’ve heard out of the student body,” Hayes said.

Host a UISG radio show on KRUI: Nathan Gould, general manager of KRUI, said planning for this project is underway.

“At KRUI, one of our missions is to be a connection to the student body,” he said. UISG officials would strive to bring in university officials and student leaders, in addition to playing music; Rigby said he is a fan of 1960s tunes.

Create a director of sustainability in UISG: Working with the UI Office of Sustainability, this position could include ways to enhance recycling or increase student activism, said Liz Christiansen, the director of the Office of Sustainability.

Participate in a community-service project with Iowa City high schools: Projects could range from a river cleanup to hosting a 5K. Working with community high-school students would build a tradition and enable college students to serve as mentors, Hayes said.

Change the add/drop policy: Rigby and Hayes hope to extend the length of time students could change their schedules on ISIS without getting teaching assistants’ and professors’ signatures on forms, because many students change their schedules during the first week of class.

Organize a student-organization summit: A meeting of student-organization leaders during the year would increase collaboration and communication among various organizations.

Implement a “Trash to Treasure” program: Based on Penn State’s model, the program would encourage students to donate items usually left on the curb as trash in designated receptacles. After cleaning, the items would be available for students to purchase, or they could be donated to a charitable organization.

UI officials said they look forward to seeing the changes Rigby and Hayes can implement.

Rigby said he and Hayes encourage student input and believe it is important to have a platform that incorporates student goals and ideas.

“We kind of view our platform as always growing and developing,” he said.

Voting for UISG elections will begin today on ISIS and continue until 5 p.m. Thursday. Results will be announced at 4:30 p.m. Friday in the IMU Hubbard Commons.