Council may help fund grad research abroad

A move by the University of Iowa’s Executive Council of Graduate and Professional Students could soon make it easier for graduate students to conduct research abroad.

The council discussed the creation of an International Experiential Learning Grant on Tuesday. The grant would give graduate and professional students who do not meet the criteria for other research grants the opportunity to study internationally.

Farah Towfic, a council member and co-head of the UI Professional Advancement Grants Committee, said the grant would offset the cost of a student’s trip to research outside the United States.

“We’re hoping to allow more students the opportunity to go beyond regional experience,” she said.

Towfic said $300 funding for each student would be an ideal minimum, but the Grants Committee would have to move around money in its other programs.

Eric Kaiser, the president of the UI Executive Council of Graduate and Professional Students, said the organization has been active with UI Foundation in attempts to increase funding.

“We know its money is tied up in bigger challenges right now, so we’ll continue using what we get from student activities,” Kaiser said.

After soliciting input from graduate and professional students, the council will formally vote on whether to create the grant at its meeting later this month.

— by Ariana Witt