Satterfield trial set for April 12

The trial of a former Hawkeye football player accused of sexually assaulting a female student-athlete is scheduled to begin later this month.

Abe Satterfield, 21, is charged with second- and third-degree sexual abuse in connection with the October 2007 alleged incident.

Satterfield was not required to return to Iowa City on Thursday for a pretrial conference.

After meeting briefly in the judge’s chambers, Johnson County prosecutor Anne Lahey confirmed the trial — which has been delayed several times — will begin April 12. It is expected to last three to four days.

In October 2009, 6th District Judge Marsha Beckelman allowed the cases to be delayed one final time. But she ordered any delays after April 2010 be approved by the chief judge.

Satterfield is represented by Des Moines attorney Alfredo Parrish.

Another former Hawkeye football player, Cedric Everson, 20, is also charged with second-degree sexual assault in connection with the same case. His trial is set for July.

The trials, coming more than two years after the sexual assault allegedly occurred, also follows two years filled with controversy stemming from the case.

In October 2007, Satterfield and Everson allegedly sexually assaulted a female student-athlete in an empty Hillcrest dorm room.

After the alleged victim’s mother complained about the university’s handling of the case, the state Board of Regents demanded an investigation.

An independent law firm, the Stolar Partnership, declared the UI mishandled the situation. UI President Sally Mason fired two administrators in the wake of the report.

Second-degree sexual abuse is Class B felony, punishable by up to 25 years in prison. Third-degree sexual abuse is a Class C felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $10,000.

DIreporter Sam Lane contributed to this report.