Poll on economy to be released

While a majority of Americans feel the economy is in poor condition, around half think it will improve significantly by next year, according to a Hawkeye Poll released Tuesday.

Forty-nine percent of those surveyed said they expect the U.S. economy to recover by 2010. Poll conductors contacted 772 random adults between Oct. 23 and 31.

Those who had a more positive outlook toward the country’s economic standing are also more pleased with President Obama’s performance, according to the poll.

Of those who feel the economy is in very good condition, 80 percent are satisfied with Obama.

Roughly 68 percent of those who said the economy is very poor are unhappy with the president’s performance.

Political affiliations also affected views on the economy. Around 70 percent of Democrats think the economy will either be good or very good in a year, while only 48 percent of Republicans and 45 percent of independents feel that way.

Respondents also said the minimum wage should be higher. Ninety-four percent indicated they believe the minimum wage should be more than $7.50. The average suggested minimum wage was $9.35, while the most common proposal was $10.

Thirty-one percent of the poll’s respondents were Republican, while 29 percent were Democrat. Around 40 percent said they are independent.

— by Brian Stewart