Men’s swimming gets a win

Prior to Thanksgiving, the Iowa men’s swimming and diving team dominated inside the Field House at the Hawkeye Invitational, which ended on Nov. 22.

Following three days of competition, Iowa amassed 1,408 points to earn the victory. Swimming far beyond the Hawkeyes’ heels were Truman State (656), South Dakota State (575), and Western Illinois (442).

Iowa sophomore swimmer Paul Gordon continued his stellar season, winning three events. He took the 200 individual medley (1:52.10) and the 100 butterfly (49.36). He also posted a collegiate-best time (45.35) in the 100 freestyle on his way to first place.

Sophomore Duncan Partridge (45.44) and junior Brad Jones (46.87) followed closely behind Gordon. The Hawkeyes placed in the top six spots in the 100 freestyle.

In the 200 back, freshman Byron Butler pulled out a collegiate-best finish (1:49.60) while winning.

Junior Sean Hagan won the 200 breaststroke (2:07.36), pursued closely by fellow Hawkeye Matt Ryan (2:08.72).

Ailing from a sore rotator cuff the past few weeks, senior Nick Divan appeared fully healthy, placing first in the 500 freestyle (4:34.49).

The Hawkeyes will travel to Federal Way, Wash., to compete in the ConocoPhillips Short Course National Championships on Dec. 3-5.

— by Patrick Rafferty