Tough-luck Hoosiers come to Kinnick

Considering Iowa’s penchant for thrilling finishes and Indiana’s October horrors in recent years, it’s fitting the two should meet on Halloween.

Both teams entered October looking to exceed preseason expectations, and they have since taken different, albeit equally interesting, routes to Saturday’s matchup.

While the seventh-ranked Hawkeyes (8-0, 4-0) have parlayed a fast start into an unforgettable stretch of dramatic wins, it’s safe to say all Bill Lynch and the Hoosiers (4-4, 1-3) want is to be done with anything October-related.

“I do not want guys hanging their heads or feeling sorry for themselves. I do not want them moping around,” Lynch said during a press conference earlier this week. “There are too many people in this world who are negative, and I do not want to see our guys being negative.”

Indiana came into the month with a 3-1 overall record after a closely contested, controversial loss at then-No. 23 Michigan. Despite falling to the Wolverines, Indiana seemed primed to improve on a last-place Big Ten finish in 2008.

Now, as the month draws to a close, the Hoosiers have managed only one October win for the third year in a row — that being over conference doormat Illinois.

After back-to-back blowout losses to Ohio State and Virginia, the Hoosiers controlled the Fighting Illini on Oct. 17. Two weeks later, Indiana now visits undefeated Iowa after a devastating loss, 29-28, to Northwestern.

The Hoosiers held a 28-3 lead over the Wildcats halfway through the second quarter, but allowed two swift Northwestern touchdowns before halftime.

Indiana failed to score in the second half, and the team watched the Wildcats collect a safety and another touchdown. Northwestern kicker Stefan Demos’ field goal with 21 seconds left eventually gave the Wildcats an improbable comeback victory.

Meanwhile, Iowa has done nothing but win, seemingly every way imaginable.

“It doesn’t seem to matter what the situation is,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said on Tuesday. “The guys, they stick together. They play hard, and they finish the game. When you do that, you have a chance.”

Whether it be a last-second touchdown pass, an interception to narrowly escape at home, or a 20-point comeback in a hostile environment, Iowa seems to have all the luck Lynch and the boys in Bloomington, Ind., seem to lack this season.

Still, Indiana shouldn’t be intimidated visiting Kinnick Stadium on Saturday. The Hoosiers’ last trip to Iowa City resulted in one of the most embarrassing losses in Ferentz’s tenure at Iowa.Clearly, the situation for the Hawkeyes is considerably more stable now than in 2007, but Ferentz and the Hawkeyes now have to contend with the bull’s-eye that comes with a top-10 national ranking and an unprecedented 8-0 record.

While the “favorite” label has undoubtedly crept into Iowa football media coverage, the Hawkeyes continue to maintain a game-by-game focus, not uncommon in a Ferentz-coached locker room.

“The only thing we can control is the present,” junior quarterback Ricky Stanzi said. “It’s very simple when you think about it. It’s obvious, but it can be tough to buckle down and do it.”